Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Our neighbors to the south call them "Brincadores" or "Hoppers"

When I was around 8 years old, my family lived in San Diego. Growing up down there provided several memories for me (some good and some bad), but no memories are more prominent in my mind than:
1.) Scooter teaching me how to cuss and I accidentally described my Dad as an A-hole when I was talking to Mom. I promise I had NO idea what that it meant. I only knew it was one of my new and cool words. Thanks big Bro.
2.) During school one day I was introduced to "Mexican nuts". I was told they are the most delicious nuts in the world. Not knowing any better I popped one in my mouth and chomped away. It was disgusting! It was super bitter, and tasted like dirt. I then saw Danny Padilla, a name I have remembered with great hatred, laughing his head off. He then showed me a small plastic case with what I now know as "Mexican Jumping Beans" inside. They jumped and wiggled around. It wasn't until later in life I learned that they "jump" because there is a small worm inside trying to break out. A thought that still makes me dry heave thinking about when I chewed one up.

When I recently came across this article on the company"The Jumping Beandito", I couldn't resist buying a few beans. They are a great company to work with. And all proceeds go to a great cause. Less then a week later I received an envelope with "Live Mexican Jumping Beans" stamped on the outside and a slight popping coming from the inside. So I'm pretty stoked to offer a few unsuspecting suckers a delicious "Mexican Nut".

8 comments:

Chellor said...

Thanks for blurring out our address, Pops. Because you know that by leaving on there we would have had swarms of people (and maybe even paparazi) at our door wanting to just be with the two coolest people ever! :)

Aaron Smith said...

I'm suspicious

Kjerstin said...

Kendall, shouldn't you be referring to the Mexican jumping beans as Mexican-American jumping beans? They currently reside and work/jump in the United States. I hate to be the politically correct police, but if I don't how many more people will suffer?

Chellor said...

Only you Rob... only you.

The O'Briens said...

Rob does make a very good point, Kendall. I think a public apology is in order. I'm sure Rob and I aren't the only ones who were offended by this.

Pops said...

I would like to make a VERY public apology, but mostly to Kjerstin, and Stephanie. I am SOO SOO sorry you guys married a couple dorks.

Just for you information RHabb, and Booby the "Mexican" Beans arrived fully documented and have work permits to be in the US.

Vic Hubbard said...

Are those from that story of Juan and the Beanstalk? What was that guys name? Jorge,,no..Jesus,,no that's another book. I just can't remember;)

signsofscience said...

Jumping Mexican beans do exist. http://amazingbeans.com has Mexican jumping beans for sale.